The Flux Capacitor

Hop on board - you don't even need 1.21 gigawats or a room at Biff's Pleasure Paradise to join in on the fun!

Friday, October 05, 2007

Anniversary fun - escaping trains, battling bugs and hating baseball.

Happy 5th anniversary to Melissa and me. How happy was my day today? Let's see...

When ordering my lunch today, I asked for extra dressing for my salad. Of course, I then proceeded to drop the dressing container, spilling it all over the floor. It then took me about two hours to finish that salad, because work was so busy and I tried to finish as much as I can before taking the week off next week.

But here's the real fun story of the day...

I got all of my work done, and I was able to escape at about 4:45. Being the good husband that I am, I took a walk to Kendall Square to the flower shop to buy Melissa some anniversary roses. I then headed down to take the Red Line to the Green, to the commuter rail. When I went down to catch the train, one was pulling in, so I thought, awesome, I can catch the 5:30, which is one train earlier than the one I usually take. But soon after the train pulled out of the station, we were stopped for about ten minutes. I'm then thinking, damn, I'm gonna miss the 5:30 now, but it won't be so bad if I end up getting on my usual train at 5:52. I wanted to get home on time because I was also going to make a stop to buy some dinner at the Macaroni Grill. Finally, the train moves, but once it got out outside on the Longfellow Bridge, it stops again. This time, we are stuck for about 45 minutes. The train shuts off its power, and it feels like 100 degrees in the crowded train car. All we keep hearing are announcements from the conductor: "they are investigating a fire at Park Street, sorry for the delay." After about the fifth time this announcement came out, some people were yelling. One guy in particular yelled out, "It's hot, we're stuck in here, and we're the only train stuck between stations! I don't know about all of these other people in here, but I have somewhere to be! I have a life!" I thought, amen brother! They couldn't turn on the power or the a/c because whatever the emergency was, they had to shut off power throughout some of the tracks.

Finally (and thank god someone thought of this), some people in the car were able to pry open one of the doors, I saw people jumping out, and I thought, hell yes I am jumping out! When I got to the door, I didn't realize that the jump was kinda far! If you've ever been on the Longfellow, you'll notice a fence between the tracks and the road, and people were jumping over that fence. There were a couple of nice guys helping some people down, and one guy was nice enough to hold my flowers and bag and help me down. The funniest moment was when I noticed there were a bunch of touristy looking people on the walkway of the bridge taking pictures of people escaping the train! At that moment, I wished I had my camera too...

I then crossed over the road to the walkway (some random guy was holding up traffic to make sure people could cross over!) and passed the Charles/MGH station and walked all the way to Government Center. At this point it was already after 6, and even if I took the Green Line to the commuter rail, I would miss even the 6:15, which is the train after my normal one. And the next train after that doesn't depart until 7:10! I called Melissa, told her the situation, and went to Quincy Market and picked up some desserts to take home. I then thought about heading back to the Green Line, but with my luck today, I decided against it and walked to North Station. I got there with plenty of time before the train, so I finally got to sit and relax my aching feet.

I finally got on the commuter rail train and back to my car. I still ended up picking up dinner from Macaroni Grill, and of course, it seemed to take forever getting home after being stuck behind some of the slowest drivers. I walked in the door at home right around 8 PM.

Olivia was still up - Melissa told me that she put her to bed, but she cried after only a few minutes and took her back out. So at least after my sucky day I got to cuddle her to sleep and put her to bed. But then I walked the crappiest Yankee game ever - game two of the ALDS, Yanks were winning 1-0 in the 8th against the Indians after a strong performance by Andy Pettitte, and when rookie Joba Chaimberlain was in the game, swarms of gnats and bugs were all over the field and was obviously a huge distraction to all. Cleveland ended up scoring on a walk, a wild pitch, a sac bunt and another wild pitch - I only have the bugs to blame! The game went to 12 innings, with the Yanks losing on a bases loaded single with two outs. So here I am, tired and sore and frustrated, and now pissed off because this was a game they should have won and now thet are down 2-0 in a best-of-5 series.

At least I will be off from work next week. It'll be Olivia and me, and I can watch her being cute all of the time.


  • At 8:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey! I know you're off work this week so you have no excuse not to blog. Why don't you share your feelings of sadness regarding the Yankees? Maybe write a little poem about Joe Torre? "Roses are red, violets are blue, the Yankees give head, and Torre is pooh". Hee!


Post a Comment

<< Home