The Flux Capacitor

Hop on board - you don't even need 1.21 gigawats or a room at Biff's Pleasure Paradise to join in on the fun!

Monday, September 11, 2006

9/11/06.

So it's hard to believe that it's been five years since the attacks. It's funny how it took some time for people to get back to normal, to now where Paris Hilton and Tom Cruise make headlines for stupid crap. But thinking back to that Tuesday morning, and the days that followed, we didn't know if and when things would ever get back to normal.

First, I think back as to what could have been. What if Melissa and I stayed in NY? When the first plane hit, we both could have been on the subway somewhere. And it is possible we both could have been stuck in the city, or even on the subway under the WTC. Luckily, this was not the case.

But then that day... finding out what was going on while at work, trying to get through to my dad who was working across the river in Jersey City, and when I finally did get him on the phone, he was watching the towers collapse. When the two planes hit the towers, and then another hitting the Pentagon, no one had any idea how many others were out there. Work sent us home just to be safe, and Melissa and I spent the rest of the day glued to the TV watching what was going on.

And then the crap that followed. Bush declaring war on terror, but not capturing Osama Bin Laden. Accusing Iraq of having weapons of mass destruction and linking them to 9/11, and capturing Saddam Hussein. And Ground Zero is still empty with no memorial, with arguments still going on about the design of the new buildings.

But regardless of how I think the government is handling things, one thing I can say - I cannot understand why these terrorists think like they do. Melissa told me that these people were brainwashed while they were teenagers - living in areas with no jobs, no education, no purpose in life, so it is easy to sway these kids into something like Al Qaida. And I can totally see that. Even where i went to high school, kids were getting brainwashed into becoming all religious. I don't even speak to one side of my family because of their extremist beliefs.

And these terrorists love "Allah" so much, but why would "Allah" be ok with killing tons of innocent people?

Anyways, those are my thoughts today. It's a day I will never forget, as well as all Americans.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home